Western has a legal obligation and moral responsibility to protect data. Here are some applicable laws:
Ontario Provincial Organizations
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA)
- Provincial R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 460 (General)
- Provincial R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 459 (Disposal of Personal Information)
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FIPPA) applies to Government of Ontario ministries and other bodies specified in a Schedule to Regulation 460.
- Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) - PHIPA applies to a "health information custodian" as defined in section 2 of the Act, including the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care, doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, etc. Western has Health care clinics and posses Health information covered under this Act.
- Archives and Recordkeeping Act, 2006 - The Archives and Recordkeeping Act requires that all government ministries and other designated organizations have a records schedule to ensure that information is not destroyed prematurely. If FOI requests are made, the information will be available, subject to retention periods.
Private Sector Privacy
Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) - PIPEDA is Government of Canada legislation that applies to every organization that collects, uses or discloses personal information in the course of commercial activities. This includes private sector companies and may include some activities of charitable or non-profit organizations.
The Central Information Security Office (CISO) is responsible for the development and maintenance of procedures and guidelines that focus on the protection of information and information systems across the University. The University privacy office is specifically tasked to safeguard the privacy of information. Details about Western's privacy office may be found here:
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.